Senior User Researcher (f/m/d)
📍London | 💰 £90,000-£100,00 + Benefits
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our User Research Team:
We are currently a team of 13 individual contributors, who are embedded into collectives i.e Personal Banking, Business Banking etc, working cross functionally with our Product Design, Product Management and Engineering teams. Our organisation is lead by Katherine Vaughan, our Director of Research.
What you’ll be working on:
- Plan and run qualitative studies, including field observations and interviews, diary studies remote and in-person concept testing and usability studies for existing and future products.
- Identify actionable insights through quantitative methods such as large scale surveys, and use basic statistical concepts to ensure findings are robust
- Evaluate and explore information architecture, using tree-tests, card-sorts and whatever other methods are appropriate
- Work closely with Product Managers, Product Designers, Engineers and other User Researchers to generate hypotheses and plans for high-impact research that helps us better understand our existing and potential customers and how to create a better product that solves their problems and meets their needs.
- Lead the research for your squads, suggesting the best approach and methods to use so we’re capturing the right insights that help us grow and develop our product in our mission to Make Money Work For Everyone.
- Collaborate closely with our analytics team to make sure our qualitative insights are also enhanced by robust quantitative analysis whenever possible, and run some basic quantitive analysis yourself
- Mentor and train Product Managers and Product Designers to run their own lightweight "disposable" research, freeing you up to do the high-impact work.
- Communicate research findings to inform business decisions through the best possible means ranging from presentations, workshops, reports or whatever mechanism gets the insights into our decision-making.
You should apply if:
- You’ve got lots of hands-on experience with exploratory and evaluative qualitative research methods, appreciating their limitations and when to apply them appropriately.
- You've worked in a multidisciplinary team environment before, where you've lead the research and made demonstrable impact on the direction of the product or service.
- You can run user testing with your eyes closed, regardless of the setting. You should be comfortable in a lab as well as stopping people in the street for quick feedback or setting up remote tests.
- You're happy user testing on mobile. We’re a mobile-only bank, so if you’ve got experience with both iOS and Android we’ll love you even more.
- You appreciate robust research study design, but can also consider practical constraints and business goals – you understand what 'just enough research' means.
- You’re a strong communicator and facilitator. You’re able to tell a story so your audience will want to listen to and zoom into detail when needed to help solutions come to life.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You are flexible in your approach and embrace a challenge; you might need to come up with new ways of answering research questions quickly and communicating the results in a memorable, impactful way.
- You’re familiar with quantitative research and understand how user research help shape metrics and drive teams towards success.
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages:
- Recruiter call (30 minutes). A video chat with Natalie who is part of our hiring team. This focuses on general suitability and fit for Monzo.
- Initial interview (30 minutes). A video chat with Katherine Vaughan our Director of Research to dig further into your expertise.
- Final loop (Total 3 hours). Split into 3 interviews - Research Methods, Teamwork & Impact.
Our average process takes around 2-3 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on email@example.com
What’s in it for you:
💰 £90,000-100,000 (optional depending on team) ➕ plus stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Years of experience