Senior Ruby Engineer (f/m/d)
Patchwork is an award-winning digital healthcare solution that was built by doctors, for doctors.
We are revolutionising flexible working in the NHS and are helping NHS organisations save millions (and counting), by connecting them to an increasing number of flexible bank workers. We help grow their staff banks, remove reliance and spending on locum agencies, and aim to improve the general experience of flexible bank working.
As our Senior Ruby Engineer, you will also play a pivotal role in helping shape the future of our product. Working closely with other Engineers, UX Designers, Product Managers and our Clinical Leads, you will pioneer development and be relied upon as one of our greatest technical experts, expected to help scale and innovate our product whilst also building new solutions. You will also be responsible for technical sign-offs and mentoring junior engineers.
In particular the Senior Ruby Engineer will focus on the development of our Rails-backed, GraphQL API, and support the ongoing proliferation of backend services to support front-end clients across multiple product streams
What is Engineering at Patchwork?
Engineering at Patchwork is the culmination of cross-functional teams, coming together to build the best products possible. We build products we're proud of. We work closely with our clients in the NHS, and wider healthcare industry, to build and deliver real value, quality and impact.
This is a journey, not a destination. The products and the team are constantly evolving and improving. Engineering at Patchwork collaborates with the whole company, it’s a team effort to ensure that we understand the opportunities in front of us, allowing us to consistently deliver the optimal solutions.
We work in small, diverse, cross functional teams to deliver value. Autonomy and accountability are key values for us. Engineers are empowered to make the right decisions at the right time, taking ownership of delivering real impact.
We are moving to a multi product strategy, focussing on reusable, scalable services that allow us to rapidly deliver value. We don’t expect to have all of the answers instantly, we work transparently and collaboratively, favouring inclusive discussion where we are not afraid to disagree and commit, this is a team effort!
- Write highly performant, extensible and scalable code and drive the rest of the team to do so; through reviewing pull requests, technical specifications and pair programming
- Propose technical solutions to feature requirements and keen to foster debate in a productive manner
- Provide sign-off for technical and architectural decisions relevant to your team
- Support junior members of the team through code pairing and mentorship
- Able to break down complex technical issues to be understandable to the wider company
- Accountable for delivering features at the end of delivery cycles
- Shape the technical priorities of the team
- Ruby // Rails
- Github Actions
- AppSignal + Rollbar
- You have 5+ years as a full time professional engineer
- Passion for writing high quality, clean and efficient code with test coverage
- Ability to learn and think critically about both system design and software engineering concepts and blend those perspective pragmatically based on project needs
- Strong demonstrable experience leading on technical projects
- Experience with managing resources on AWS
- Experience working asynchronously on a remote, distributed team (does not have to be professional experience)
- Although not essential it would be great if you had worked in a growing start up or health care organisation
- Support remote/flexible working environments
- Dog friendly office
- Cycle and Tech loan scheme
- EMI Shares Options
- Access to Perkbox
- Salary advances with our financial wellbeing partner, Wagestream
- Free therapy, counselling and other wellbeing services through our Employee Assistance Programme: Health Assured
- Trained Mental Health First Aiders in the business
- Weekly Lunch & Learn
- Monthly Culture Club: Diversity talks, cooking workshops, book clubs
- Assigned Learning & Development budget per employee
We receive a lot of applications and as a small team we are unable to give individual feedback on each application. If you have not heard from us within a week, unfortunately you have not been selected for an interview
Patchwork provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. These decisions are made without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, colour, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognised protected basis prohibited by applicable law.
- Patchwork HQ
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
- Yearly salary
- £70,000 - £90,000
Years of experience