Senior Build & Release Engineer
We’re on a mission to reinvent 3D design for the 21st century.
To achieve this, we’re completely reimagining legacy computer-aided design (CAD) tools with an iconic, mobile-first product. Over the past two years of high-speed growth, our Apple Design Award-winning app has been regularly featured in Apple Keynotes and commercials, and demoed in retail stores around the world. But what we’re most proud of is the global user base that uses our product every day. We’re backed by top European VCs Point9 Capital and Creandum, focusing our $6M Series A on scaling our team across the board.
By joining engineering at Shapr3D, you'll get the chance to build a world class product - one that's already used by hundreds of thousands of design professionals across the globe. Hence, well on its way to disrupting a 30 year old CAD industry. Oh, and it's rather satisfying to see your app featured on apple.com. Yes. That's right. Shapr3D is one of those apps.
Besides constructing an amazing application, we are also working hard at Shapr3D on building a world-class engineering organization. In our Engineering VP's words: “our focus is on making sure that all our teams are empowered and incentivized to make decisions independently. People aren’t afraid of taking risks, setting ambitious goals, and in some cases, failing. We know how to learn from our mistakes.” (Akos Kapui, Engineering VP). Read more about scaling-up engineering at Shapr3D and listen some thoughts from our Engineering VP on managing hyper-growth.
How would you contribute to the mission?
- Your experience in creating and maintaining a CI/CD infrastructure will help us to drive our mission forward and build an iconic app for design professionals. You will be joining a newly formed team and working on super exciting infrastructural changes that make a real difference. This team is responsible for packaging and releasing the applications on all three currently supported platforms. (iPadOS, macOS, Windows) With your help these teams will have the most streamlined experience possible to get value out to customers. Your job will also make an impact on the app itself, you can make a bunch of improvements to make building the app even easier and faster.
- We don’t have dedicated roles for specific tasks; every engineer is equally responsible for engineering design, implementation, and testing. Our engineers are driven to deliver high quality work and always aspiring to learn and grow on the job.
- We are dedicated to creating superior products, and solutions. The problem space you will be working on is super complex, it consists of planning, creating, maintaining and scaling a CI/CD infrastructure where we can run unit, performance and end-to-end tests on all 3 platforms. Your users as a build engineer will be Shapr3D engineers, designers, user researchers, and the quality and UX we would like to achieve must be as good as if it was for outside users.
- We work in an agile environment with a strong focus on well-structured code, testing, and continuous integration. We do our best to build sustainable code that enables high speed and high quality. Pragmatic decisions and approaches help us maintain a good balance between quality and speed.
A sneak peek into our stack...
- Our cross platform CAD engine (that is shared across all platforms) is written in standard C++17
- For our iPadOS and macOS app we build our UI and application logic in Swift
- Some Objective-C, mostly for gluing Swift and C++ together
- Our proprietary rendering engine uses native Metal and DirectX 11 APIs
- Projects are generated by CMake and we use Xcode and Visual Studio for development and building
- Our CI/CD system is based on GitHub Actions and Azure VMs Pipelines, with our dedicated instances hosted on Azure and MacStadium
- We use Python, Ruby and Bash for scripting
- We write tests in GoogleTest, XCTest and XCUITest
In an ideal world you'll bring a bunch of these things to the table:
- Proven experience with writing high quality, testable, maintainable code
- Knowledge and depth of experience in CI/CD systems as a user and as a contributor
- Proven experience in supporting high performance and high quality applications
- Background in macOS and Windows configuration
- Willingness to learn new technologies related to automated testing
- Eagerness to get your hands dirty with application code for final packaging of the application
- Thirst for improving the build processes and configurations
Upcoming projects to work on:
- Migrate Windows CI/CD from Azure Pipelines to GitHub Actions
- Create a common, high-availability, scaleable and easily extendable CI/CD solution for all three platforms
- Create infrastructure for on-device automation testing
- Automate the release process to the limit
And the following applies to you and will help you thrive at Shapr3D:
- Curiosity fuels your journey
- You are dedicated to building products that break the mould
- You like to take ownership of things and to learn from your mistakes
- Quality code and very robust architectural decisions define your approach, while being able to move fast and build things with flexibility
- Users and data lie at the core of your technical decisions
- Users and the product come first. Team next. And your ego last
What does a successful first 6 months look like at Shapr3D?
Solving problems in our domain requires an in-depth knowledge of computer architecture, operating systems, and computer science - but more importantly you have to understand our product and domain. The first couple of weeks of your onboarding will mainly focus on learning and understanding our practices, while later it will shift towards autonomy and efficiency. You’ll be guided and mentored by experienced engineers throughout the whole onboarding process.
Now let’s fast forward 6 months into the future. You have designed, implemented, and released multiple features to production. You’ve had countless occasions where you had to make decisions on how to best solve a specific problem. You’ve also received numerous pushbacks and feedback from your teammates which eventually led to a better outcome. You’ve learned tons of new things during this period, and your work and contributions have inspired others to do the same.
What do we offer?
- A down-to-earth culture and an opportunity to scale this thing up together
- The chance to build a word-class product and to learn from some of the best professionals in their field along the way
- Unconditional support for your professional development - be it reading a book or attending a course to grow your skills, it's on the house
- Relocation support if you’re not from Hungary
- 100% sick leave payment
- A generous healthcare package with Medicover (upon passing your probation)
- An iPad Pro and Ultimaker office 3D printer so you can play with the app
- A spacious office with a panoramic view of downtown Budapest
- One of the best coffee machines in town and well-stocked office snacks (including fruit, cereals, sweets, savories, a company Wolt account while we’re working remotely, and more)
If all this speaks to you and you’re up for reinventing 3D design for the 21st century, we should definitely talk! And don't worry if you don't tick every single box in the requirements. We’re always looking to hire for potential and the right mindset - so we'd still love to hear back from you.
***Please submit your CV in English***