This job ad is no longer active. Search for New jobs
Senior Backend Engineer
Short Description: A Backend engineer is in charge of developing the platform that powers our products. To do so you’ll be part of an international team, bringing you support and guidance in your journey. This position is key for the growth of Payflow.
Requirements: We are looking for an experienced software engineer, with challenging experiences and the capacity to make beauties from scratch.
We are looking for a motivated, hard-working, resilient, and team player person who is hungry to participate in growing the next successful Y Combinator and Rocket Internet venture.
Language requirements: Fluent English + Spanish is a plus
Location: Spain/Remote (Barcelona is preferred, Remote is OK)
And what makes Payflow unique?
The 21st century is the start of the on-demand revolution. Booking an Uber takes 2 seconds from your phone. Ordering a Glovo takes 5 seconds. Starting your favorite series takes an instant on your TV. And now, accessing your salary can be the same.
Payflow’s mission is simple - we aim to bring financial wellbeing to everybody through financial education and access to fair and socially responsible financial products - offering employees the revolutionary social benefit that allows them to access their earned wages instantly, rather than waiting until payday.
- Is it challenging? Of course yes 🎯
- Are we ready to do whatever it takes to make it happen? Yes - to the moon and beyond 🚀
- Want to be part of this amazing team? Join us!
Ok, but what is a Backend engineer about?
Our Senior Backend Engineer will be part of an international team (more than 10 nationalities). Making things happen across the Tech department. You will be mentored by our VP of Engineering and exposed to a wide variety of topics related to the application, the dashboard or integrations.
You will show passion for solving tough problems with performant code work on teams that ship on quality instead of on time.
More specifically, some of the key tasks are:
- Collaborating with other developers and designers
- Actively seeking out hard problems to solve, and designing technical roadmaps to solve them
- Bringing context and learnings back to a team from other projects and mentoring junior developers through technically challenging decisions
- Using test-driven development to write well-tested code
In short, Backend engineer is a key role that requires a strong capacity of adaptation to high intensity development and a will to own from A to Z projects.
What do we offer?
In details, here the key skills we would love to hear from you:
- English speaker, Spanish is a plus and legal right to work in Spain
- A strong entrepreneurial mindset.
- 6+ years of relevant experience, ideally in startups
- Having led at least one team of engineers as a Squad lead or Tech lead is highly valued.
- A strong entrepreneurial mindset and the drive to do whatever overall
- Deep understanding of Node.js, MySQL and/or PostgreSQL and API development
- Experience with AWS and Docker
- Experience writing unit and integration tests
- Ideally experience in integrating with HR, Payroll or banking software
- Ideally experience with mobile framework such as iconic or react native
- Ideally experience with Typescript
- Sense of urgency and ability to multitask
- Attention to detail
- Interest in social impact, employee benefits and/or payments technology
- Willingness to take our platform and product to the next level! 🔥
What do we offer?
- Full-time contract with competitive base salary 60 k€+ (based on experience)
- The opportunity to join a fast-growing startup and be one of the first twenty employees of the engineering team. There is plenty of room for personal and professional development.
- A clear career plan so that if you perform well, you can get promoted.
- Employee benefits (e.g. health insurance, Netflix, Spotify, Wetaca, Gym membership)
- Be part of one of first 5 start-ups in Spain to be part of Y-Combinator and help us to continue in hyper growth mode, in Spain and beyond
- We are a remote-friendly company but we also enjoy working together in our offices when needed.
- The opportunity to learn a lot. If you are ambitious and like winning, there is no better place to grow and improve.
- A young and ambitious team that knows when to work but also when to have fun (company events, weekly lunches, beers😀🍻, etc.)
- Off-site events quarterly to celebrate (e.g. ‘Retreats’)
Any other tips for the interview?
The process we use is the following:
1st round: 45 mins - Call with VP of Engineering or a peer from the engineering team
2nd round: 90 mins - Live coding exercise
3rd round: 90 mins - System design interview with members from our eng. team.
Want some TIPS for your interview? We like winning! And we want you to be the same! That’s why our core values spell TIPS.
Sounds weird? Here the whys:
Try: Say ‘yes’ before ‘no’ ✅
Improve: Never Settle 🚀
Push: Work hard but smart 🤓
Smile: Good vibes only 😊
We are building a company based on these values, and we want you to know them in advance!
Contract type: Full-time contract in Spain or Local if is remote
Location: Preferable Barcelona or Madrid but we are remote-friendly.
Start date: As soon as possible! (if you want a date, it would be yesterday!)