Ruby Engineer (f/m/d)
Patchwork is an award-winning digital healthcare solution that was built by doctors, for doctors.
We are revolutionising flexible working in the NHS and are helping NHS organisations save millions (and counting), by connecting them to an increasing number of flexible bank workers. We help grow their staff banks, remove reliance and spending on locum agencies, and aim to improve the general experience of flexible bank working.
To support the continued success of our product's adoption within the NHS, we’re looking for Ruby developers/engineers who have a passion for writing high quality, scalable code who can help bring our products into the next phase of our journey. Rubyists at Patchwork work on IMPACTFUL products, really making a difference to the NHS and the lives of their employees.
Our ideal team member would be someone who champions the best programming practices, is able to share knowledge freely and work collaboratively amongst a diverse team of talented engineers and really knows how to build and deliver the best products possible. As we rapidly scale our teams and transition from a single product to a multi-product company, we want people who are able to grow with us, so a mindset of continuous improvement is very important to us - there’s a whole range of career & personal development opportunities available to all our teams too!
Perhaps more importantly though, we want people who see Patchwork and our products as a way to really give back and help the NHS and as such, are dedicated to making Patchwork successful.
- Championing and delivering best practices of coding principles; building products with scalability, resilience and security in mind
- Pairing with Junior and other engineers to help build upon the teams knowledgebase
- Following TDD and writing own test cases
- Reviewing PR’s and technical specifications / documentation
- Working closely with both QA & Product to ensure delivery of well tested and thought out features
- Able to work both independently and collaboratively in an agile environment - no siloes here!
- Willingness to tackle technical debt and maintain code bases, as well as work on new features
- Bonus points for having worked with AWS; some familiarity with load balancing or provisioning.
- Bonus points for having worked on a similar product like ours!
- Bonus points for knowledge of the NHS and how they procure flexible workers/staff
- Bonus points for having worked in a remote, distributed environment before
- Github Actions
- AppSignal + Rollbar
- Support remote/flexible working environments
- Dog friendly office
- Cycle and Tech loan scheme
- EMI Shares Options
- Access to Perkbox
- Salary advances with our financial wellbeing partner, Wagestream
- Free therapy, counselling and other wellbeing services through our Employee Assistance Programme: Health Assured
- Trained Mental Health First Aiders in the business
- Weekly Lunch & Learn
- Monthly Culture Club: Diversity talks, cooking workshops, book clubs
- Assigned Learning & Development budget per employee
We receive a lot of applications and as a small team we are unable to give individual feedback on each application. If you have not heard from us within a week, unfortunately you have not been selected for an interview
Patchwork provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants. All employment decisions (including recruitment, hiring, promotion, compensation, transfer, training, discipline and termination) are based on the applicant’s or employee’s qualifications as they relate to the requirements of the position under consideration. These decisions are made without regard to age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic characteristics, race, colour, creed, religion, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship, disability, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or any other legally-recognised protected basis prohibited by applicable law.
- Patchwork HQ
- Remote status
- Hybrid Remote
- Yearly salary
- £50,000 - £65,000
Years of experience
- Mid-senior level