Platform Software Engineer (f/m/d)
Who are Elephant?
Elephant is a health technology company tackling the biggest problems in global healthcare. Founded by doctors in 2018, our team has grown from humble origins to more than 100 people with offices in Nairobi, Karachi, Accra, Islamabad and London.
Elephant's platform digitises clinics, connects patients to their health system, and empowers nurses and doctors to deliver care. We believe that technology has the power to transform, and our goal is to create a universal healthcare system, powered by data, that enables personalised, high-quality care for all.
We work hard to live up to our cultural values of kindness, candour, good humour, and respect. We understand that we are a work in progress, but hold each other accountable to these values as we seek to grow together. Our philosophy is 'team-first', and so we invest in creating a collaborative environment where every individual can contribute and thrive. Our team is international, composed of people with a huge range of expertise from every walk of life. This diversity is a strength and we welcome applications from all backgrounds.
We are looking for talented software engineers to join our team and create impact! If you are passionate about technology, are curious about our mission, want to challenge yourself and grow, keep reading!
(You can also check out our video showing some of our work in Kenya here)
Role overview: Platform EngineerWe're looking for a software engineer specialising in DevOps / Platform to help build and strengthen Elephant’s infrastructure. We’re building a global platform for health and so we deploy our application in data centres around the world. Our multi-cloud context means that we’re investing in the tech and tooling necessary to connect and monitor systems running in different environments.
Elephant’s platform team doesn’t just set up servers and databases, they collaborate with product-engineers on key architecture decisions, and enable teams by creating tools and paved roads that improve the developer experience across product and data platforms.
What you’ll do:
- Join a team of talented engineers creating a platform depended upon by millions of people.
- Deploy services and databases on AWS, GCP and in local data centres located in Africa and Asia.
- Help create unified control systems to manage services across multiple clouds.
- Enable other engineers by creating tools that make it easy to develop apps and continuously deliver them to users.
- Address complex security challenges with great architecture.
- Create a reliable platform that scales!
This role might be a great fit if you:
- Have an engineer’s mindset for solving complex problems.
- Hold an obsession for robust, observable and scalable infrastructure.
- Are passionate about distributed systems and tech like Docker, Kubernetes and Helm
- Have a DevOps mindset – “everything as code”, “deploy 1000 times per day” etc!
- Are comfortable working outside the confines of AWS / GCP / Azure
- Have a growth mindset
The technology we use day to day is modern and ever-evolving!
Uniquely, Elephant’s architecture is fundamentally cloud-agnostic. We deploy our services to data centres across the world, working with technologies like AWS and OpenStack. We are comfortable using managed services but are unafraid to deploy and maintain our own systems when needed. Kubernetes is the core infrastructure technology we use, deploying with argoCD, and monitoring via Grafana.
In the application layer you’ll find a single page React application that we’ve recently started breaking into micro-frontends. On the backend you’ll find NodeJS microservices written in TypeScript, communicating with the client via GraphQL. We use Kafka to enable our event-driven-architecture, and MongoDB, PostgreSQL, S3 and Elasticsearch for data storage and retrieval. In 2022 we’ve invested heavily in our data platform and are using Google BigQuery and Python to provide our customers with amazing health system insights.
Perks of the job:
- We aim to provide all members of our team with flexibility. We have a remote first policy, with access to office space in central London for collaborating with team members.
- £500 homeworking grant scheme to set up your dream home office
- Online mental health support through partnership with Self Space.
- A culture of kindness, candour, good humour and respect.
- Investment in personal growth: if there’s a course, book or conference you want to attend, let your manager know, and we’ll do our best to cover the cost.
- Employee pension scheme with Aviva (including salary sacrifice)
- 25 days holidays + public holidays.
- Opportunities to travel to meet our customers around the world.
- We take progression seriously at Elephant; with strong performance, your salary and benefits will grow with the company.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Elephant is an equal opportunity employer and we are proud to create an environment where everyone can be their best. All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of their age, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, genetics or disability. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.
When you apply to Elephant you should feel comfortable telling us about yourself, including how you like to be addressed. Please let us know if you require any special accommodation to be made for the interview process: we want to set you up for success and let you put your best foot forward.
Years of experience