Mid/Sr. Software Engineer - Backend
💭 About Stotles
Our mission is to unlock the potential of business and government working better, together.
The partnership between business and government is vital in making our communities productive & cohesive, but inefficiency and beaurocracy is currently the norm. We are using a modern approach to change this.
Our SaaS platform gives businesses a clear view of opportunities to work with the public sector, and the tools needed to manage them. We are bringing together a massive amount of messy government data to bring clarity and transparency to a space that desperately needs it.
Since launching our private beta in early 2020, we've seen fantastic traction from industry leading customers such as UiPath, Slack, Freshworks, Couchbase, and many others.
💡 About this role
Comp. range: £50-75k salary with 0.05-0.25% in equity
We are looking for ambitious software engineers that are passionate about finding elegant solutions to complex problems.
We are untangling the complexities of the public sector as a nimble, cross-functional product team. To do this we aim for everyone to be familiar with all parts of the system.
You’ll be joining a team of creative and intellectually curious engineers. We are eager to learn any technology and skill required to get the job done, and share their knowledge with the rest of the team.
With a strong culture of ownership and responsibility, we believe that our job is not done until the job is done. We take pride in delivering the highest quality, reliable products that make discovering and actioning opportunities in the public sector effortless and fun for our users.
As one of the first software engineers at Stotles you will have a huge impact on the overall success of the team, and be involved in the entire lifecycle of the product.
🔑 What you'll do
- Create a best-in-class SaaS tool to revolutionise a market that desperately needs it
- Build a global public sector database by combining procurement data, news sources, government spend and planning information and many other datasources
- Design and build a complex data pipeline ingesting structured and unstructured data
- Develop infrastructure connecting all components of our architecture including the data pipeline, scrapers, internal tools and the customer-facing web application
- Build a state-of-the-art querying and searching engine for our graph of public sector data
Check this out for some examples of what we're working on.
🥞 Our tech stack
We are always striving to use the best available tools for the job and currently among other tools, these work great for us:
- Scrapers & data backend written in TypeScript/node.js
- Data science done with Python
- Web-app backend using Ruby on Rails with Postgres
- Front-end written in TypeScript (we 💗 types!) using React and Ant Design components
- We're currently running all of this on Heroku & AWS
As the core part of our team you will be able to influence the technology choices we make for our backend architecture.
See more on our stackshare
⌨️ What we're looking for
Skills we're looking for
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer in roles related to backend development or data engineering (data pipeline architecture, scrapers, data processing & analytics).
- Good knowledge of relational databases
- Experience with applications running in the cloud and using modern DevOps tools
- (Good to have) experience developing SaaS products
- (Good to have) experience with graph databases
Qualities we're looking for
- Strong analytical thinking: Able to distill complex tasks into an elegant solution & plan-of-attack
- Effective communicator: Able to share novel or complicated concepts with the team in a digestible way, and able to “translate” technical developments into their relevant business implications
- Focused on impact, not output: Willing to flex across technologies and beyond this job description to solve the task at hand; ready to get your hands dirty!
- Ambitious curiosity: Eager to learn skills and technologies outside of your comfort zone, take on tasks that scare you, and grow into a senior leadership role at Stotles
- Dependability & detail-oriented: Trusted to deliver on the commitments you make to the team, from the big picture results to the nuanced details
Most important, we're looking for people that are curious, ambitious and love to learn new things, so if for any reason you don't fit our requirements but are passionate about our vision, don't hesitate to apply!
👉 You at Stotles
📈 How you'll learn and grow
🧠 What you will learn
We believe that individual learning and progression is extremely important. In addition to a dedicated budget for personal development, here are some of the things you will learn as you go:
- Building cloud-based applications
- Software architecture
- Data science & engineering
- Mentoring as the team grows
- And more!
- generalist knowing high-level aspects of the whole system - think "software architect",
- specialist with in-depth knowledge of crucial parts of our product,
- team leader building and mentoring a world-class team of engineers.
📆 What you'll do in a typical week
- Coding + Product development
- Working on new features or fixing any bugs
- Code review or general feedback sessions - everyone can have their say
- Researching and planning implementations for upcoming features
- Regular code deployments to production
- Knowledge sharing sessions - learn new tech (frameworks, languages, methodologies etc.), or product-related skills (UI/UX, BDD/DDD/TDD).
- Weekly Engineering meeting - We operate on weekly sprints to discuss outcomes, and plan tasks for the following week.
- Bi-weekly product meeting - discuss the latest changes to the product and roadmap. We believe everyone should have a say in the direction of the product.
- Physical & mental wellbeing - whether it's going to the gym, meditating, or anything else you might spend your wellbeing allowance on!
- Food, drink & snacks - join for lunch together, or drinks on a Friday - whether virtually (now) or in person (soon!)