Full Stack Software Engineer (f/m/d)
Who are Elephant?
Elephant are a health technology company tackling the biggest problems in global healthcare. Founded by doctors in 2018, our team has grown from humble origins to more than 100 people with offices in Nairobi, Karachi, Accra, Islamabad and London.
Elephant's platform digitises clinics, connects patients to their health system, and empowers nurses and doctors to deliver care. We believe that technology has the power to transform, and our goal is to create a universal healthcare system, powered by data, that enables personalised, high-quality care for all.
We work hard to live up to our cultural values of kindness, candour, good humour, and respect. We understand that we are a work in progress, but hold each other accountable to these values as we seek to grow together. Our philosophy is 'team-first', and so we invest in creating a collaborative environment where every individual can contribute and thrive. Our team is international, composed of people with a huge range of expertise from every walk of life. This diversity is a strength and we welcome applications from all backgrounds.
We are looking for talented software engineers to join our team and create impact! If you are passionate about technology, are curious about our mission, want to challenge yourself and grow, keep reading!
(You can also check out our video showing some of our work in Kenya here)
Role overview: Software Engineer
We're looking for a full stack software engineer to help build our app! Elephant’s platform digitises healthcare end-to-end, covering all aspects of clinical care, plus inventory management, health insurance, reporting, and more. Many of our users work in environments with limited resources and our goal is to deliver beautiful, easy-to-use tools that enable and empower them, improving the quality of healthcare.
We care about impact! Each member of our engineering team has the opportunity to impact the lives of our users, and influence our direction in technology and product.
This is a full stack role, meaning we’re looking for developers who are comfortable working on the frontend and backend. We mainly use Typescript, but we don’t mind what programming languages or technologies you’ve used in the past, so long as you think like a software engineer, are passionate about solving problems, and care about making a difference.
What you’ll do:
- Be part of an agile software engineering team that owns a domain of Elephant’s platform.
- Build apps for healthcare workers, creating amazing experiences that improve services.
- Work closely with various stakeholders in the business: Engineers, Product Managers, Designers, Operations, Sales and more.
- Solve complex product challenges as our apps are used by diverse user groups.
- Contribute new to creating technologies and approaches that improve our platform and help us fulfil our mission.
What you’ll need:
Experience as a software engineer working with modern technologies and paradigms. You should have good technical fundamentals and are able to work across frontend and backend (though we understand if you have a slight bias for one or the other). Our other requirement is that you have a growth mindset!
This role might be a great fit if you:
- Have a good understanding of frontend and backend fundamentals
- Are familiar with modern web application architectures
- Love pushing yourself out of your comfort zone and working across the stack
- Are able to recognise and balance trade-offs between business and technical needs
- Reach for simple solutions first and are able to understand what makes a solution scalable
- Are able to empathise with our different types of users and develop solutions with their needs in mind.
- Care about making an impact.
- Love working as part of a team.
The technology we use day to day is modern and ever-evolving!
On the frontend expect to find a single page React application that we’ve recently started breaking into micro-frontends. Our React app communicates with our backend services via graphQL.
On the backend you’ll find NodeJS microservices written in TypeScript. We use Kafka to enable our event-driven-architecture, and MongoDB, PostgreSQL, S3 and Elasticsearch for data storage and retrieval. Elephant’s platform is multi-cloud: we deploy our services to data centres around the world using argoCD and Kubernetes. In 2022 we’ve invested heavily in our data platform and are using Google BigQuery and Python to provide our customers with amazing health system insights.
Perks of the job:
- We aim to provide all members of our team with flexibility. We have a remote first policy, with access to office space in central London for collaborating with team members.
- £500 homeworking grant scheme to set up your dream home office
- Online mental health support through partnership with Self Space.
- A culture of kindness, candour, good humour and respect.
- Investment in personal growth: if there’s a course, book or conference you want to attend, let your manager know, and we’ll do our best to cover the cost.
- Employee pension scheme with Aviva (including salary sacrifice)
- 25 days holidays + public holidays.
- Opportunities to travel to meet our customers around the world.
We take progression seriously at Elephant; with strong performance, your salary and benefits will grow with the company.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Elephant is an equal opportunity employer and we are proud to create an environment where everyone can be their best. All qualified applicants will be considered regardless of their age, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, genetics or disability. We do not tolerate discrimination or harrassment of any kind.
When you apply to Elephant you should feel comfortable telling us about yourself, including how you like to be addressed. Please let us know if you require any special accommodation to be made for the interview process: we want to set you up for success and let you put your best foot forward.
Years of experience