Full-stack Developer (f/m/d)
Zindi is a start-up whose mission is to be the top-of-mind platform for data scientists to learn data science, grow their community, and build their career. Our vision is to make data science accessible to everyone, and to do that we host an entire data science ecosystem of scientists, engineers, academics, companies, NGOs, governments and institutions.
Zindi works with companies, non-profit organisations, and government institutions to develop, curate, and prepare data-driven challenges. For data scientists, Zindi is a place to access African datasets and solve African problems. Data scientists have all the tools they need on Zindi to compete, share ideas, hone their skills, build their professional profiles, find career opportunities, and have fun.
Zindi has recently completed a seed funding round and is now laser-focused on building out a world class community platform where future and current data professionals can learn data science, grow their community, and build their career. We have doubled our user base since July 2020, and have given away more than $300 000 USD in prizes to African data scientists through more than 100 competitions.
This role is for a full-time, full-stack developer to help us grow and reach the next level! You will have the opportunity to lead the engineering team, as we build out several new products. You will be responsible for developing, implementing, and maintaining new features on the zindi.africa platform. As a full-stack engineer, you’ll be able to balance tasks that are back-end focused, while also helping the front-end engineers with overall integration and architecture. The successful candidate will join a small, growing development team at an exciting startup. It is vital that the candidate be detail-oriented, curious, driven, pragmatic and work well with changing priorities and quick responses.
Role and Responsibilities
- Support the Zindi team to ensure that the zindi.africa site is working optimally at all times
- Manage development and infrastructure of an actively growing and evolving platform
- Have an expert understanding of the zindi.africa code base
- Proactively identify bugs or areas for improvement to the site
- Fix bugs identified by the Zindi team in a timely manner
- Add new, major functionality to the siteAdd minor functionality to the site
- Update content to the site, such as the FAQs
Core Competencies & Skills
- 4+ years backend development experience
- 3+ years of experience with Ruby on Rails
- Solid experience with React.js
- Knowledge of Python and Jupyter notebooks advantageous
- Knowledge of SQL advantageous
- Able to engage productively
- Creative thinker and problem solver with keen attention to detail
- Able to get things done and meet deadlines
- Experience with system architecture or leading a software team is a strong advantage
Desirable Competencies & Skills
- Experience with AWS and Azure
- Experience with building platforms and online communities
- Experience with public data portals
Years of experience
- Mid-senior level