Founding Engineer (f/m/d)
💡 About Aveo Our mission is to empower people to take on the jobs of tomorrow. We want to enable people to unlock their full potential independent of their background by giving everyone access to expert knowledge. We start by running cohort-based programs and work with subject-matter experts to build original content with practical relevance.
Now we start building a learning success platform — an API-first product that aims to make online learning programs multiplayer.
Prior to starting Aveo, we have spent time in the manufacturing industry (eg. ZEISS, Siemens), on the investment side (P9 Capital) investing in various fast-growing and product-focused B2B startups worldwide, building communities, and were teaching people ourselves (eg. at Columbia Business School).
Why you might be excited about us
- With the skills gap, we’re working on one of the biggest problems that our society and economy faces in the years to come
- We’re helping companies to stay innovative and our learners to do a better job, thereby making a positive impact on people and their personal development
- We're building a global and unique community with more than 200 people and an even longer waitlist
- We do believe in “you build it, you run it” philosophy and truly live DevOps
- Our technology stack can still be shaped to some extent, however, we aim to work with the following. Infrastructure: Google Cloud, Kubernetes / Backend: Postgres, Airflow, Python / Frontend: React, Webpack, CrossBrowserTesting
- We're backed by leading investors and operators in the field of education, software, and industry
What you will do
🎯 As a founding engineer, your mission is to build and develop our learning success product together with the founders and ultimately launch and scale it
- As a founding engineer, your mission is to work closely with the founders to bring our learning success platform to market.
- You will work directly with the founders to define and shape our product roadmap, platform architecture, system documentation, and core development practices. We’ve validated core parts of our product with no-code tools, and this is an opportunity to use that recipe to build the engineering stack from zero-to-one.
- You will balance speed and scale while keeping in mind the sensibilities to create a high-quality user experience
- As engineer #1, you will shape the company culture and technology from the ground up
- You will build, develop, and manage a diverse and inclusive team of engineers over time
- You will participate actively in strategic meetings with prospects, customers, investors, and our Aveo team
☝️ Background info: Do you want to see the core parts of Aveo we have tested with no-code tools? Email us at [email protected] to get an idea of what we will be building!
Who you are
- You have a strong technical background and multiple years of experience in building full-stack web applications
- You have a bias for action and demonstrable knowledge of engineering best practices in all areas including agile, architecture, development, DevOps, REST APIs, testing, and responsive UI development
- You are obsessed with user experience and building a consumer UX grade B2B product
- You understand that communication and a structured way of working are key to moving fast
- You are passionate about technology and ideally about helping others to achieve their full potential
- You have stellar written communication and documentation skills in English
☝️ We know that nobody checks all boxes - so even if not everything applies to you but you’re convinced that this job is for you, we’d love to hear from you ([email protected]).
What you will get
- Make a big difference: Take, own and implement decisions to build Aveo from scratch. We are not rushing to market but focus on a quality product and the big little details
- Competitive compensation including a substantial equity package
- Whatever work gear you may need to feel productive and co-working or home office stipend if remote
- We’re a learning company so we’ll invest in your personal developing
- Brave and transparent company culture where you can make an impact
We believe in everyone
We fundamentally believe talent is distributed to all of us in equal measure. This means we see your unique experience and believe in the strength of every intersection of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic, or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity.
How to Apply
Does this role sound like a good fit? Email us at [email protected] with a short description of yourself and ideally send us some more info about you and the work you have done (LinkedIn, Twitter, Blog, Projects, etc.).