Engineering Manager- Platform (f/m/d)
Bitmovin provides API based software that powers the world's largest OTT online video providers with video developer tools, built by industry experts.
Come join the team building innovative online video software for developers and content owners worldwide!
Passionate about leading a development team and leading by example? Excited about impacting the video industry on a global scale?
Bitmovin is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a Platform team based in Klagenfurt. The Software Engineering scrum team works in 1-weeks sprints on improving one of our three core products, the Bitmovin Video Encoding.
The Platform Team is responsible for the encoding API that’s required in order to configure, start and monitor all of our encodings. Additionally, the Software Engineers maintain and configure all the infrastructure that is required to run the encodings. Besides that, the team also maintains the API clients and the Dashboard - the UI where our customers interact with our backend system.
The ideal candidate will have experience in managing a team of engineers, technical knowledge of full stack development (Java, Kotlin, Spring Boot, TypeScript, ReactJS) and a great passion for working with, coaching and mentoring people.
As an Engineering Manager you will
- Be responsible for leading the Platform team in Klagenfurt (currently 7 engineers and growing) towards building a high-quality software product
- Manage and nurture our engineers, and ensure that they are empowered to do their best work and achieve their goals
- Foster an inclusive environment for your team to show up and give their best every day as well as a strong knowledge sharing and learning culture
- Be a touchpoint for technical questions from engineering leadership, product teams, and customer-facing teams
- Ensure efficient processes, instill a sense of urgency, and motivate your team to operate with high velocity, ownership, accountability and engineering standards
- Review and improve our existing product, architecture, and coding patterns and develop and execute initiatives to improve the overall product experience and performance
- Be onsite in our Klagenfurt office for a certain amount of time to foster a social connection with your team
- Gain up-to-date knowledge of technology standards, industry trends, emerging technologies, and software development best practices
It would be great if you have
- Experience managing / leading an agile development team
- Hands-on programming experience in either backend (e.g. Java / Spring Boot) or frontend technologies (e.g. ReactJS / TypeScript)
- Passion for people and experience with hiring, onboarding, and mentoring engineers
- Exceptional communication skills and experience balancing competing priorities in a fair and transparent manner
- Well-organized with a high level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-awareness and a growth mindset
It would be even better if you have
- Bring clarity to ambiguous situations by bringing stakeholders together and facilitating discussions
- Experience navigating difficult conversations, both on your team and with stakeholders
- Have experience tracking vital metrics to detect issues and trends early and mitigate risks
- Experience with Cloud technologies
- Have experience with managing and working in a distributed team
You don’t have experience with all the points above? Don’t worry, we will support you with learning, training and coaching on the job.
Bitmovin’s Worldwide Benefits
- Working with an innovative, fast-growing and international team with low hierarchy
- Opportunity to make an impact on the multimedia industry, with target markets EU, US and APAC
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours
- Home Office bonus
- Investment in growth and education
- Subscription to one of our customer’s streaming services
- No routines, but new challenging projects with global impact
- Regular and fun company events and team activities (hackathons, summer party, …)
- Free choice of hardware
- Company holidays
- Volunteering Time Off
- Seasonal gift package (swag)
- The opportunity to work for an exciting start-up, building innovative video solutions
Bitmovin’s Benefits in Austria and Germany
- Additional days off (bridge days)
- Hybrid work (home office / onsite flexibility)
- Sodexo - Lebensmittel Pass Card (Austria)
- Bike leasing (Austria)
- Sponsorship of public transport ticket (Austria)
- Lunch benefit ( Austria)
- Free snacks and drinks in our offices (Vienna, Klagenfurt and Berlin)
At Bitmovin we sincerely believe in the value that true diversity brings to a company. We diligently ensure our business, our people, our language and our actions do not discriminate against differences in race, religion, colour, origin, gender, sexual orientation, education, age, marital status, veteran status, disability and neurodiversity. Diversity is a part of our company character, thus we strive for the inclusion of diverse thought leadership to enhance the capability and uniqueness of our company proposition and culture. We launched our DEI group, the Tiger Team, to enhance our Diversity, Equality & Inclusivity agenda; bringing individuality to the forefront of our culture.
Bitmovin, a YCombinator company, is a fast growing privately owned technology leader, located in San Francisco, CA and Klagenfurt, Austria.
The company was founded by the co-creators of international media standards like MPEG-DASH, that is used today by Netflix, Youtube, and others. Bitmovin is the technology leader in online video technologies such as cloud-based encoding, adaptive streaming players, 360°/VR streaming and performance analytics. Bitmovin is backed by top investors such as Atomico as well as industry leaders like the former VP Engineering of Netflix, former CTO of Cisco, founder of Unity3D, and many others. Bitmovin’s customers include the top media and technology companies worldwide, including discovery+, fuboTV, DAZN, BBC, RTL, RedBull Media House, Globo, ClassPass, The New York Times and many others.
Working at Bitmovin is fast-paced, fun and challenging with colleagues and customers worldwide.
STARTING TIME: Immediately
Empower your future and join us now!Bitmovin does not accept unsolicited referrals or resumes from any source other than directly from candidates. The submission of referrals or resumes by anyone other than a candidate directly to Bitmovin will be deemed gratuitous, and the company will not be obligated or bound in any way to pay any fee if the candidate is hired.
Apply for this role
Vienna; Klagenfurt; remote - Europe
We are always looking for talented people to join the team, so just send us your resume