Engineering Manager (C++ / Kernel)
We’re on a mission to reinvent 3D design for the 21st century.
To achieve this, we’re completely reimagining legacy computer-aided design (CAD) tools with an iconic, mobile-first product. Over the past two years of high-speed growth, our Apple Design Award-winning app has been regularly featured in Apple Keynotes and commercials and demoed in retail stores around the world. But what we’re most proud of is the global user base that uses our product every day. We’re backed by top European VCs Point9 Capital and Creandum, focusing our $6M Series A on scaling our team across the board.
By joining the Engineering Team at Shapr3D, you'll get the chance to build a top-notch product – one that's already used by hundreds of thousands of design professionals across the globe. Hence, well on its way to disrupting the 30-year-old CAD industry. Oh, and it's rather satisfying when you see your app featured on apple.com. Yes. That's right. Shapr3D is one of those apps.
Besides constructing an amazing application, we are also working hard at Shapr3D on building a world-class engineering organization.
In our Engineering VP's words:
“Our focus is on making sure that all our teams are empowered and incentivized to make decisions independently. People aren’t afraid of taking risks, setting ambitious goals, and in some cases, failing. We know how to learn from our mistakes.” (Ákos Kapui, Engineering VP).
How would you contribute to the mission?
- Our growing number of teams take on larger initiatives and deliver the features end-to-end to customers. Your experience in engineering management would help us build high-performing teams and lead them through high growth. You foster a sense of purpose and interpret vision into tangible goals.
- As an experienced engineer yourself, you would regularly review and challenge engineering design documents, establishing an environment where people can collaborate to resolve problems. You would build a team of engineers with professional excellence that can continuously release world-class products to customers.
- As part of the Engineering Leadership Team, you would also be responsible for strategic planning and delivering against those plans. You would act as a role model for software engineers in using leadership behaviors and creating a culture where people feel motivated.
A sneak peek into our stack...
- Our cross-platform CAD engine is written in standard C++17
- For our iPadOS and macOS app, we build our UI and application logic in Swift
- On Windows, the app is written in C# and XAML and shipped as a Universal Windows App (UWP)
- Our proprietary rendering engine is using Metal APIs on Apple devices, while we use DirectX11 on Windows
In an ideal world, you'll bring a bunch of these things to the table:
- Previous work experience as a software engineering manager or a development lead for a core C++ team
- Depth of knowledge in a wide spectrum of software engineering (computer architecture, operating systems, computer science, and algorithms)
- Expertise in building engineering teams with high quality and high throughput
- Experience in utilizing leadership behaviors for operational and professional excellence
- Know-how in managing and developing high-performing engineers and supporting people in their career growth
- Hands-on development experience in C++
And these will be true about you as they will help you thrive at Shapr3D:
- Curiosity fuels your journey
- You are dedicated to building products that break the mould
- You like to take ownership of things and learn from your mistakes
- You use constructive arguments to align the organization with common goals
- You have desire and determination to succeed, as well as denial of mediocrity
- Users and data lie at the core of your technical decisions
- Users and the product come first. The team next. And your ego last.
What does a successful first 6 months look like at Shapr3D?
Solving problems in our domain requires an in-depth knowledge of computer architecture, operating systems, and computer science – but more importantly, you have to understand our product and domain. The first couple of weeks of your onboarding will mainly focus on learning and understanding our practices, after which it will shift towards taking on management responsibilities. You’ll be guided and mentored by experienced engineering leaders throughout the whole onboarding process.
Now let’s fast forward 6 months into the future. Your team has designed, implemented, and released multiple features to production. You’ve had countless occasions where you had to make decisions on how to best solve a specific problem. You’ve also received numerous pushbacks and feedback from your peers which eventually led to a better outcome. You also helped your direct reports to understand their strengths and weaknesses, and they all feel motivated and inspired for the work that is ahead of them.
What do we offer?
- A down-to-earth culture and an opportunity to scale this thing up together
- The chance to build a world-class product and learn from some of the best professionals in their field along the way
- Unconditional support for your professional development – be it reading a book or attending a course to grow your skills, it's on the house
- Relocation support if you’re not from Hungary
- 100% sick leave payment
- A generous healthcare package with Medicover (upon passing your probation)
- An iPad Pro and Ultimaker office 3D printer so that you can play with the app
- A spacious office with a panoramic view of downtown Budapest*
- One of the best coffee machines in town and well-stocked office snacks (and a company Wolt account while we’re working remotely)
- Home office equipment to make the remote working period as comfortable as possible
*Our team is currently working remotely. We're very grateful to be able to continue our work throughout the pandemic.
If all this speaks to you and you’re up for reinventing 3D design for the 21st century, we should definitely talk! And don't worry if you don't tick every single box in the requirements. We’re always looking to hire for potential and the right mindset – so we'd still love to hear back from you.
***Please submit your CV in English***