This job ad is no longer active. Search for New jobs
Barcelona - Data Engineer - Full time
40.000€ - 50.000€
About the job
The IOMED Data Engineer team is responsible for managing large volumes of data in the healthcare environment and we seek to incorporate into this team a passionate about databases who will be in charge of managing our database, being able to extend its capabilities. Moreover, you should be excited about the future prospect of scaling and making sense of the flood of health data.
At IOMED we have a federated database built on PostgreSQL. The main functions of the position will be:
- Administration of corporate databases.
- Development, optimization and maintenance of the components of our federated database.
- Modify and adapt the data model.
- Optimization of data pipelines.
- Understanding of the needs of the different teams for the creation of new databases and architecture modifications
- Monitoring of databases (growth, performance, backups, errors, etc.).
- Data export and import operations between environments.
- Installation of new database instances.
- Migration of databases to new versions.
- Support for application version migration (execution of scripts, collection of invalid objects in database, etc.).
- User management and, in general, the security of access to databases.
You will collaborate with the rest of the Data Engineer team by analyzing and understanding data sources, participating in the design, and providing information and guidance on database technology and data modeling best practices. In this role, you will also work closely with the systems administration team.
It is important to have at least two years of professional experience working in a Data Engineering department, preferably as a database administrator or as a backend developer responsible for the database, in a fast-paced environment and a complex business environment.
In terms of personality, we are looking for someone who works well in a team, can teach and learn from others, and maintain fluent communication about the tasks that are being carried out with the members of the non-technical team.
Things You Might Do
For this position, it is important to feel comfortable giving support to the rest of the team and adapting to it. Additionally, the specific tasks that will be carried out in this position are:
- Work on the reliability and performance aspects of the databases
- Analyze solutions and implement best practices for our main PostgreSQL database cluster and its components
- Work on the observability of the relevant database metrics and ensure that we achieve the objectives of our database.
- Implement changes to our production environment and help mitigate database-related production incidents.
- Work on automating the database infrastructure and providing self-service tools.
- Plan the growth and manage the capacity of the IOMED database infrastructure.
- Design, create and maintain pieces of core database infrastructure.
- Support and debug database production issues at all services and stack levels.
- Make monitoring alerts.
- Document each action so that your learnings become repeatable actions and their subsequent automation.
What we are looking for
- Experience of at least three years working in database systems management and maintenance.
- Specialization in popular open-source relational databases, such as PostgreSQL, MariaDB, or similar.
- It is desirable to have worked with procedural query languages (PL / SQL or T-SQL or PL / pgSQL).
- Have certain programming skills in Python, bash, or other similar languages.
- Be familiar with highly replicated systems or have implemented distributed SQL databases such as CockroachDB, Citus, Cassandra, or similar.
What we offer
- Full-time permanent contract.
- Gross annual wage: 40.000-50.000€.
- Company profit-sharing scheme.
- Flexible schedule, with the possibility of home office once a week.
- A warm, transparent, and supportive team, with a huge emphasis on work-life balance.
- Most days, lunch together on our sunny terrace.
- The opportunity to make your mark in e-health and AI.
IOMED is a technological company of software development. It was launched in 2016, funded by local and international ventures.
We are passionate and talented young professionals, from all around Spain and the world (It couldn’t be any other way, as we’re based in beautiful and bright Barcelona). Our “dream team” is made up of mathematicians, statisticians, bioinformaticians, and physicians.
We are looking for people who are eager to innovate and be part of a project with an impact on the healthcare industry, enjoying what we do, team-work, and taking on new challenges
IOMED is an equal opportunity employer. We are still a small team and are committed to growing in an inclusive manner. We want to augment our team with talented, dynamic people irrespective of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, physical or mental disability, or age.
What we do
Nowadays, around 50% of Clinical Trials are delayed due to patient recruitment, since patient data collection is performed in a manual fashion. As a result, clinical research is highly inefficient both in time and cost, taking years and billions of dollars to develop a new drug.
This problem could be solved through Real World Data, i.e. derived from Electronic health records (EHR). But unfortunately, up to 85% of existing clinical data is unstructured, i.e. in plain text. This also leads, in part, to the existence of data silos, making it impossible to aggregate data from different hospitals.
IOMED has found the solution to this situation, making it possible to take advantage of the full value of clinical Real World Data. We developed a tool that extracts the necessary data from clinical texts, which results in a structured, standardized, and interoperable database that contains the complete clinical information from hospitals.
By this means, non-reusable information is transformed into data available for Clinical Research, allowing an enormous increase in criteria-compliant patients and a reduction of total time and manual labor devoted to this task.