Data Science Manager, Financial Crime (f/m/d)
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Data Science, Financial Crime Team:
We're excited to be looking for a Financial Crime Data Science Manager to help build the bank of the future. You'll have the opportunity to lead a part of the Financial Crime Data Science team and play a critical role in Monzo’s mission to make money work for everyone.
As a Data science manager, you’ll be working in an ever changing environment where we are building and iterating on our financial crime defence capabilities to ensure we keep Monzo and our customers safe. As a financial crime team we have a large impact on Monzo’s bottom line as fraud and scams are usually some of the biggest cost line items in a bank's P&L. In addition, we have a great influence on the overall customer experience and how protected they are. Most of the work we do results in directly measurable customer or company benefit which is incredibly satisfying.
What you’ll be working on:
Our Data Science Managers don’t have a permanent assignment to a problem space and might rotate into different financial crime areas after some time. The major problem spaces that we are working in are: fraud prevention, transaction monitoring for different types of suspicious activity, customer risk assessment and operational tooling to name the biggest ones. At the moment we are about 21 people in financial crime data, including 3 other Data Science managers who will be your peers.
As part of your job you’ll work closely with product managers, engineers, designers and researchers in an agile product environment. You’ll champion the use of data, bring ideas to life through rigorous experimentation and A/B testing. You’ll help us get the most out of large volumes of data stored on a modern cloud native data platform and with spotting opportunities to make each area of financial crime work even better for our users and for Monzo. As a people manager, you’ll help your team grow, hiring new team members, supporting their personal development. Your team will drive product innovation and you’ll get to see the impact of all your work in the product changes we make.
- Be a key leader in building a discipline of exceptional data scientists working on making Monzo world class at tackling financial crime
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to the financial crime and product leadership teams with the capacity for getting things done, be it either hands-on or by leading others
- Bring data leadership and rigour to our financial crime function and build a strategic understanding of the business while structuring complex projects to bring them to life
- Set the data strategy for financial crime area - from working with engineers on ensuring that we capture the right data to building predictive models that help us detect financial crime
- Have the opportunity to manage exceptional Data Scientists and help their career progression and development
- Be able to work on all aspects of financial crime as we operate as one team
You should apply if:
What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You have multiple years of experience in data, working as a lead Analyst or Data Scientist
- You consider yourself an empathetic leader and have experience managing multiple data scientists and you really enjoy that part of the job
- You’re as comfortable getting hands-on as well as taking a step back and thinking strategically and proactively identifying opportunities
- You have experience working together and collaborating with senior business stakeholders and product teams
- You're familiar with using a variety of Data Science tools (from business intelligence, experimentation and causal inference through to machine learning), and coding languages (Python and SQL). You know when to pick the right tool, and can help others do the same
- You are passionate about reducing financial crime with data driven strategies
Nice to haves
- Experience working within a finance function
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment
- Knowledge of accounting / ERP systems and principles (e.g. NetSuite, Oracle EBS, SAP)
- Knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- Experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, Scala...)
- Working knowledge of Python, Airflow, dbt and looker
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum) tracked in JIRA or Trello
The Interview Process:
Our interview process involves 3 main stages We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions!
- 30 minute recruiter call
- 45 minute call with hiring manager
- 3 x 1-hour video calls with various team members
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you
do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
If you prefer to work part-time, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2021 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2021 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
Years of experience
- Mid-senior level